The Windsor Jewish community began in the late 1800s with the arrival of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe. The largest groups emigrated from Russia and Poland. These Jewish immigrants built the first synagogue in Windsor in the early 1900s. By 1921, the community numbered 980. In 1929 the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue was built. At this time the community had grown to 2200 persons, with the majority of affliated Jewish families joining the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue.
According to our constitution, our objectives are to: